In this guide, we’ll show you how to download install, and load Beat Saber custom songs into the game. This guide was updated in 2022 to work with BMBF v1.15
BMBF v1.15 is the patch that works with the v1.17 version of Beat Saber (the Skrillex pack update). If you have any trouble, click here to read our guide on how to downgrade Beat Saber to the last version.
In this guide, we’ll teach you:
- What BMBF is for Beat Saber
- How to Install custom songs into Beat Saber
- How to update everything to the latest version when a new Beat Saber version is released
- The best custom songs to load into the game.
Note that when you install BMBF 1.15, you will lose the ability to play the new Beat Saber multiplayer mode. However, there is a brand new method for toggling Beat Saber to play both the modded and unmodded versions here.
Comment at the bottom of this guide if you have any problems with this Beat Saber mod not working or need help loading new songs into the game.
- What are Beat Saber Custom Songs?
- What is BMBF Beat Saber?
- Latest Version of Beat Saber and BMBF
- How to Install Beat Saber Custom Songs With BMBF (New)
- How to Upgrade to BMBF v1.5 and to Beat Saber v1.17
- List of the Best Beat Saber Custom Songs
- Beat Saber Mod FAQ
- What is the best way to load custom songs in Beat Saber?
- What does the “Restore the Patched Beat Saber – as it may be in violation of the Platform Abuse Policy” error mean?
- Are Beat Saber custom songs illegal?
- How do you create your own Beat Saber maps?
- Does Mapping Extensions work with the latest version of Beat Saber?
- Can you play Beat Saber on the Oculus Go?
- How do I make sure I keep my BMBF and Beat Saber mod version up to date?
- Are songs free on Beat Saber?
- Can you put custom songs on Beat Saber PS4?
- Why is Beat Saber so fun and popular?
- Can you BMBF on the latest version of Beat Saber?
What are Beat Saber Custom Songs?
There are multiple communities on the internet dedicated to mapping real songs to Beat Saber. This means that you can play the latest Taylor Swift, Drake, Marshmello, or Five Finger Death Punch songs in Beat Saber.
Doing this allows your Beat Saber song list to grow into hundreds of real life tracks easily! This is one of the reasons why the game is one of the most popular Oculus apps of all time.
Being able to load custom Beat Saber songs is made possible with an app called BMBF. With BMBF, you can install Beat Saber custom songs in two different ways: directly on your VR headset or from your computer. Then, you can visit a Beat Saber song website called Bsaber to browser and save songs you like.
A lot of guides on the internet prefer the direct way on your VR headset, but we prefer to do it from our computer. The reason is that it’s easier to navigate and download songs in bulk with your computer. Either way, we have instructions for both ways listed below!
What is BMBF Beat Saber?
BMBF is a mod manager for Beat Saber. It allows the installation of custom songs and mods into Beat Saber. BMBF is installed on your computer and also onto your Oculus Quest so that it can modify Beat Saber to allow customization.
BMBF integrates tightly with the bsaber website. You can bookmark songs on Bsaber and automatically sync them into your game using BMBF on your computer or headset. It’s the number one way to get real world songs into the game.
If this sounds complicated, don’t worry! Below we go through step by step instructions on how to use BMBF for Beat Saber properly.
Latest Version of Beat Saber and BMBF
The latest version of Beat Saber is v1.15 from September 3rd. This update is made to work with the new Skrillex update to Beat Saber. The last update was a major one that completely rewrote BMBF from scratch.
v1.15 Change Log
- Added automatic download of unstripped libunity.so file from a community repository. With this, BMBF is now version independent – new versions of Beat Saber will not require a BMBF release – only core mod updates which can be pushed remotely.
- BMBF no longer opens in Oculus TV – instead opening in Oculus Home like it used to
- Increased speed of reloading song folder and restoring outdated configs
- BMBF now opens to the Playlists tab after patching instead of Browser. This is to fix some lag issues after patching and to correctly display prompts
- Added “no core mods available for this version of Beat Saber” prompt
- Improved reliability of mod installations, including fixes for mod dependencies not correctly following their versions, and libraries not uninstalling when they should be able to
- Other bug fixes
- Completely removed asset modding in favour of song loading mods.
- Support for far more songs than were previously possible (1800+ tested).
- Songs can be in multiple playlists at oce.
- Core mods cannot be removed in the BMBF UI – you can click click Delete Mods in the Tools tab and then sync to reinstall them.
- Mods are now enabled/disabled/installed/removed only when you sync
- Changed to new .qmod file format, which has extra features and advantages over the legacy BMBF format which is no longer supported.
- Far more reliable core mods installations (codegen should always install without issues now)
- Essential core mods are now built into the BMBF APK, and do not have to be downloaded
- Configure format almost completely changed, upgrading code added to migrate from the old format
- New endpoints added and some removed
- Added option to reload playlist folder
- added option to prevent BMBF from being killed in the background
- Reloading yourr songs folder does not break your playlists (only known songs are uploaded)
- MODDED GAMES DO NOT ALLOW YOU TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER! You have to choose between Beat Saber custom songs and Beat Saber multiplayer support by default. There is a tutorial for how to toggle between modded and unmodded versions of Beat Saber here.
- Sometimes, button on BMBF may not be clickable after patching. Attempting to exit BMBF will then softlock up your Quest. To fix this, restart your Oculus Quest by holding down the power button.
- There is a chance BMBF UI will not appear quite right if not on the v32 firmware update.
BMBF with the latest version of Beat Saber
There is no updated version of BMBF for the latest version of Beat Saber. BMBF only works with version 1.17 of Beat Saber and not with any version newer than this.
The developers for BMBF have done this intentionally since it was too hard to update Beat Saber custom song support for each version that was released.
Now that you know what is compatible with what, let’s show you how to install new songs in your Beat Saber game.
The instructions below are how to install BMBF from new. If you want to upgrade BMBF and Beat Saber to the latest versions listed above, click here.
How to Install Beat Saber Custom Songs With BMBF (New)
Before you use the method below to install Beat Saber custom songs, there are some important things you need to know. When you do this, you are modding Beat Saber and the game will work slightly different compared to other games installed on your headset.
- NEVER attempt to update to the latest version of Beat Saber from the Oculus menus
- NEVER attempt to uninstall Beat Saber from the Oculus menus
- DO NOT upgrade to the latest version of Beat Saber until it is verified that the latest version is compatible with your custom songs
- It is recommended that you backup your custom songs and custom playlists before performing any upgrades to Beat Saber
All Beat Saber mods and custom songs break each time the game is updated to the latest version. They require developers to make everything compatible with each latest version.
This guide shows you how to install custom songs from your computer onto Beat Saber with the BMBF mod. This will get you more songs on Beat Saber to play the next time you fire up your VR headset!
Total Time: 10 minutes
Install and Setup SideQuest
First off, use our SideQuest guide (don’t worry, it will open in a new tab) and follow the first 9 steps to set your Oculus in Developer Mode and get SideQuest installed on your computer. You can also choose to install AdbLink instead of SideQuest.
When you get to the step about choosing an APK to load onto SideQuest, come back here and follow the next step.
Go to the official BMBF page and download the latest stable version of BMBF. To use BMBF on your computer, you need the exe (Windows) or dmg (Mac) version.
If you plan on using BMBF directly on your VR headset, make sure you download the APK file too.
Alternatively, you can also go to the BMBF SideQuest page and install the APK onto your headset too.
Connect your VR headset to your computer and then launch BMBF. When you turn BMBF on, it should launch in your web browser.
If it doesn’t launch automatically, you can manually open BMBF using “Quest’s IP:5000”
Download Beat Saber Custom Songs
The best place to download songs for Beat Saber is on the Bsaber website. Search through the website and click the download arrow under any song to download the zip file to your computer. Download as many songs are you wish.
Load Custom Songs onto Beat Saber
Go back to BMBF in your browser and drag and drop all of the custom songs you downloaded onto the window. Songs will be loaded onto Beat Saber.
Sync Custom Songs to Beat Saber
Lastly, to sync your songs onto Beat Saber, press the red Sync button in the top right corner.
And that’s it! Your Beat Saber custom songs will be now be available the next time you launch the game in your headset.
Bookmark + SyncSaber Method
You can also sync custom songs by popular artists onto Beat Saber without downloading them. The bookmark/SyncSaber method lets you save songs to your BSaber account and then synchronize them to Beat Saber. You don’t have to download any songs to your computer at all.
We didn’t put this as the primary method because the synchronization process isn’t 100% reliable. However, many people prefer this way and find it easier to load songs onto Beat Saber.
To do the bookmark method for loading Beat Saber custom songs, go to the BSaber website and click Log In on the top right corner.
Click the Register button at the bottom.
Enter in your username and password and then verify your account by clicking on the link in your email.
When you are logged in, you simply have to press the bookmark icon beside any song on BSaber to bookmark it to your account.
You can go nuts bookmarking as many songs as you want. When you are done, plug in your headset and launch BMBF.
Click on the SyncSaber link at the top.
Simply enter in your BSaber account username and make sure that Bookmarks is checked on. If you’ve bookmarked over 100 songs, then increase the Max Songs so that everything gets moved to Beat Saber.
Click on Queue Downloads and SyncSaber will move all of the Beat Saber custom songs you’ve bookmarked onto the game.
You can now go and play Beat Saber with a ton of new songs! These two methods should both work fine.
If you are heaving any trouble loading Beat Saber custom songs, comment below and let us know!
How to Upgrade to BMBF v1.5 and to Beat Saber v1.17
NOTE: These steps below should work if you are coming from BMBF v1.11 or later. If you are still running BMBF v1.10 or earlier, you need to uninstall Beat Saber and uninstall BMBF and run the base install instructions.
- First off, use our SideQuest guide (don’t worry, it will open in a new tab) and follow the first 9 steps to set your Oculus in Developer Mode and get SideQuest installed on your computer.
- Go to the official BMBF page and download the latest stable version of BMBF. BMBF is required in order to load Beat Saber custom songs into the game.
- If you have Beat Saber open in your Oculus Quest, quit out of it.
- OPTIONAL: If you want to backup Beat Saber songs and playlists to be safe, go here (link will open in a new tab) and then come back here.
- Plug your Quest into your computer and launch SideQuest VR. Make sure that SideQuest says CONNECTED in the top corner.
- Click the Currently Installed Apps icon (3×3 icon grid).
- Drag and drop the latest BMBF APK you downloaded above onto the SideQuest logo in the top left corner.
- In your Oculus Quest, run BMBF by navigating to Navigate > Library > Unknown Sources > BMBF
- Select Tools and then click Uninstall BS to uninstall Beat Saber. Click OK when you are done to be returned to the Oculus home screen.
- Navigate to Navigate > Library > Not Installed Apps. Wait until Beat Saber disappears from the list if it still needs a moment to refresh.
- Reinstall the latest version of Beat Saber, following the prompts as needed.
- Run Beat Saber and make sure all your downloaded content is there before exiting Beat Saber.
- Run BMBF again from Navigate > Library > Unknown Sources > BMBF. This time, a First Run BMBF Wizard should appear.
- Follow the first run wizard instructions as prompted. In some upgrades, you might be asked to uninstall the base Beat Saber, reinstall the modded version, and patch it. You should be asked to Restore your custom songs and playlists. Make sure to click the Sync button.
- Run Beat Saber and accept the request for permissions.
- Verify that everything works and is in tact.
- Exit Beat Saber
- Now you can restore your data and get back all of your Beat Saber custom songs.
If you have trouble upgrading BMBF and Beat Saber, comment down below at the bottom of this post. Make sure that you post the version numbers you are working with.
List of the Best Beat Saber Custom Songs
The songs below are the most popular real world songs for Beat Saber that fans have loaded into the game. You can click on any song below to open up the Bsaber website and sync them to your headset using the instructions above.
- PSY – Gangnam Style
- Electric Light Orchestra – Mr. Blue Sky
- The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army
- Imagine Dragon – Believer
- Walk the Moon – Shut Up and Dance
- Avicii – The Nights
- PSY – Daddy
- Muse – Uprising
- Earth, Wind & Fire – September
- Skillet – Feel Invincible
- Daft Punk – Technologic
- The Weeknd – Blinding Lights
- Rammstein – Du Hast
- Panic at the Disco – The Greatest Showman
- Joey Batey – Toss a Coin to Your Watcher
- Mark Ronson – Uptown Funk
- Eminem – Love the Way You Lie (Feat. Rihanna)
- Dua Lipa – New Rules
- Fun. – Some Nights
- Boney M – Rasputin
- AC/DC – Back in Black
- Darude – Sandstorm
- Twenty One Pilots – Stressed Out
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop The Feeling
- Halsey – Without Me (ILLENIUM Remix)
Beat Saber Mod FAQ
What is the best way to load custom songs in Beat Saber?
BMBF allows you to install real life custom songs into your Beat Saber game.
What does the “Restore the Patched Beat Saber – as it may be in violation of the Platform Abuse Policy” error mean?
If you see this Oculus error message in your headset when you launch Beat Saber, click on CLOSE and do not allow Oculus to restore the original version of Beat Saber on your headset.
This new error message appears for Oculus Quest 2 owners.
Are Beat Saber custom songs illegal?
No, downloading and playing custom songs in Beat Saber is not illegal. For personal use, it is completely fine to use the steps above installing mods for Beat Saber and getting new songs.
How do you create your own Beat Saber maps?
If you’d like to create maps for your favorite songs in Beat Saber, there are a number of resources you can check out. The Beat Saber Mapping Guide is a wikipedia style resource that tutorials for everything you need. You can learn how to create your own maps, mod Beat Saber, and do a ton of other cool things. It’s our favorite custom modding group resource for Beat Saber.
If you prefer video tutorials, check out this series from Fruhead which walks you through step-by-step creating your own maps.
Does Mapping Extensions work with the latest version of Beat Saber?
Mapping Extensions is a Beat Saber mod that makes it easier for mappers to create their own custom songs. Maps created with Mapping Extensions require the user to have that mod installed on their headset in order to work. Mapping Extensions works with Beat Saber versions 1.8 up to 1.9.1. These versions are now obsolete and old. So if you keep your Beat Saber up to date, then do not download any songs that require Mapping Extensions
Can you play Beat Saber on the Oculus Go?
While technically possible to install and play Beat Saber on the Oculus Go, we do not think it is worth the effort. Among the reasons: The Oculus Go only supports 3DoF (up, down, left, and right) so it’s not ideal for a 6DoF game like Beat Saber, the Oculus Go only supports a single controller at a time, and the Oculus Go is now marked obsolete by Oculus and is no longer supported.
The Oculus Quest 2 or 1 is a much better option if you are just getting into VR.
How do I make sure I keep my BMBF and Beat Saber mod version up to date?
We update our guide above each time a new version of either Beat Saber or BMBF is released. Bookmark this page and you will get step-by-step instructions on how to update as soon as each new version is released.
Do NOT follow old and out of date Youtube videos explaining this process because it can be slightly different for each new version that is released. Only follow tutorial guides that specifically list the version of BMBF and Beat Saber.
Are songs free on Beat Saber?
All custom songs for Beat Saber are free to download and try out. Beat Saber also releases official music packs from real life artists for an additional fee.
Can you put custom songs on Beat Saber PS4?
Unfortunately, Sony does not allow you to load custom songs onto Beat Saber for the Playstation 4 or Playstation VR.
Why is Beat Saber so fun and popular?
Beat Saber is one of the highest selling VR games of all time. It is fun and popular for a few different reasons: gameplay is fun to learn but hard to master and it is extremely satisfying to chop blocks and get into the rhythm of the beat. Loading custom songs into Beat Saber increases the fun level as well.
Can you BMBF on the latest version of Beat Saber?
No, BMBF only works with v1.17 of Beat Saber and is not supported on any version newer than this.
Also cool, check out our 101+ VR Tips From Beginner to Expert for tricks on everything you need to know about virtual reality.
And then, go and check out our VR deals guide for the latest deals on VR games, hardware, and accessories.
Do you have any other Beat Saber questions? Comment below and let us know and we will do our best to answer them for you.