Are you seeing a red dot in your Oculus Quest or Go vision?
Back when I first got my Oculus Quest, I was confused by this single red dot in the upper right corner of my screen. The dot stays on the screen and can be distracting if you are self-conscience about it.
Turns out, there is a simple explanation for this red dot on the Oculus Quest!
What does the red dot on the Oculus Quest mean?
If you are casting your Oculus Quest or Go to a nearby Chromecast or NVidia Shield, the red dot appears! It’s a reminder or notification to the headset wearer that their view is being casted on the TV.
How to remove the Oculus Quest red dot?
As of Build 17.0 for the Oculus Quest or Go, you can now toggle or disable the red dot so that it no longer appears when you are casting! Build 17 was released on May 16, 2020.
To turn off the Oculus Quest red dot:
- From the Oculus main room, click on Settings.
- Select Device
- Toggle the Video Capture Indicator to turn the red dot on or off.
Hopefully this helps solve your confusion over the red dot on your Oculus Quest or Go like it did for me!
How to Start Casting on Oculus Quest
If you want to check out that Oculus Quest red dot yourself, you need to begin casting. You can cast your VR headset screen to:
- NVidia Shield
- Oculus App
- The Google Chrome web browser
If you don’t have a Chromecast or Shield, you can easily cast back to the Oculus app connected to the headset.
Chromecast, Nvidia Shield, Oculus App
- From the Oculus main room, click on Sharing
- Click on Cast
- Select your available device from the list to cast to. If you don’t see anything here, make sure that your Chromecast, Shield, or Phone are on the same wi-fi network as your headset.
- Click on Start
- If casting doesn’t begin immediately, click the accept button on the device you are casting to.
Your Oculus Quest screen should now be mirrored on your chosen device.
Google Chrome Browser
To cast from the Oculus Quest to Google Chrome, open up a browser window and navigate to https://oculus.com/casting and follow the instructions on the screen. You’ll need to log in to your Oculus Facebook account.
Go and check out our home page for more Oculus VR headset tips and information!
What other features would you like to see added to the Quest? Comment below and let us know.