If you want to share your view from your Oculus Quest 2 or 1 to your family and friends, you can cast to any Chromecast device. In this guide, we go over the best Chromecast devices for VR casting.
For each device, we go over:
- How good it is at casting Oculus Quest video
- Other features the device has
- How to cast your Oculus Quest to the Chromecast hardware
If you have a different Chromecast device, comment down below and let us know what you are using!
- The Best Chromecast Devices for Oculus VR Casting
- Casting Oculus Headsets to a Chromecast Device
- How to Cast Oculus Quest to Chromecast
- Google Chromecast 3 Review
- Nvidia Shield Pro Review
- Nvidia Shield Tube Review
- Sony X900H Smart TV Review
- Hisense H5500 Android Smart TV Review
- MECOOL KM2 Android TV Box with Chromecast Support
- Pendoo Android TV Box Review
- Google Chromecast Ultra Review
The Best Chromecast Devices for Oculus VR Casting
In a rush? Click the links below to check out our top Chromecast devices today.
- Google Chromecast 3
- Nvidia Shield Pro
- Nvidia Shield Tube
- Sony X900H Smart TV
- Hisense H550 Smart TV
- MECOOL KM2 Android TV Box
- Pendoo Android TV Box
- Google Chromecast Ultra
Casting Oculus Headsets to a Chromecast Device
Originally, you could only cast Oculus Quest video to a compatible Chromecast device. This meant an official Chromecast or an Nvidia Shield. In 2020, a software update enabled the use of all compatible hardware with Chromecast capability built in. Android TV boxes (including Android smart TVs) can now be used for Oculus Quest casting.
Regular Chromecast devices offer 1080p casting with some latency. Chromecast Ultra hardware offers 4K casting with latency under 1 second.
Below, we have different options for your price range.
How to Cast Oculus Quest to Chromecast
Once your Chromecast hardware is powered on and connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Oculus Quest, casting is easy:
- Launch the Oculus app on your phone
- Select your avatar icon in the top left corrner
- Click on Casting
- Under Cast From, make sure it says Connected beside your headset.
- Under Cast To, select your Chromecast device,
- Click on Start at the bottom of your screen. You may have to accept the prompt inside of your headset.
Your Oculus Quest video should display on the TV after a few seconds.
Next up, we review our top picks for Oculus Quest casting hardware below.
Google Chromecast 3 Review
The Google Chromecast 3 is the original hardware straight from Google. It is one of the best Chromecast devices for VR. The resolution of this Chromecast is up to 1080p at 60fps.
Casting your Oculus Quest to the Chromecast 3 is simple. Just plug the device into your computer, connect to Wi-Fi, and select your Chromecast from your casting options in the Oculus App.
The Chromecast 3 is perfect for VR casting except for one small flaw. The latency from the Oculus Quest to the Chromecast 3 is about 1 to 5 seconds depending on your wireless internet connection. If you play Beat Saber or other fast-moving games, casting can be distracting because your movements don’t line up with your TV. The Chromecast Ultra, featured next, fixes this problem in a few ways.
Other than VR casting, the Chromecast 3 supports all other media services. Watch YouTube, Pandora, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and other services on any TV in your house. It lets you watch movies, shows, and photos streaming on your TV from any of your hand-held devices.
If you’re looking to purchase a Chromecast device for VR to cast your headset videos, you won’t go wrong with Google Chromecast 3
Google Chromecast 3 Features
- Good Oculus Quest casting features for a low price
- Supports 1080p casting
- Good casting for low-motion VR games
Nvidia Shield Pro Review
Nvidia Shield Pro is a powerful Android TV box with Chromecast Ultra hardware built into it. Unlike the Google Chromecasts above, the Nvidia Shield is a fully-powered Android operating system. You can download applications to it, play console video games with Nvidia GeForce Now, and more.
For Oculus casting, the Nvidia Shield will show up in your Oculus app the same as a regular Chromecast device. The Shield Pro has a Chromecast Ultra built into it, which means 4K streaming and low latency. If you are already planning to spend the money on the Ultra, a little more will give you the best Android TV box available.
The Shield Pro has access to the full Google Play Store. From there, you can install apps like Netflix, Kodi, Plex, and Spotify. The Nvidia Shield Pro comes with a 16 GB hard drive, 3 GB of RAM, and USB 3.0 ports. It features voice search, motion-activated, backlit buttons and a built-in lost remote locator. You can control the device hands-free with Amazon Alexa or Google Home.
Nvidia Shield Pro Features
- Full-featured Android TV box with Chromecast Ultra built in
- Thousands of Android apps to install, play, and use on the device
- The most 4K HDR content of any streaming media player
- The Best of the Best. SHIELD TV delivers an amazing Android TV streaming media player experience, thanks to the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ chip. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling. 2x USB 3.0 ports for storage expansion, USB cameras, keyboards, controllers, and more. Plex Media Server built-in, 3 GB RAM, and 16 GB storage.
- Dolby Vision - Atmos. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR, and surround sound with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus—delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio.
- Best-In-Class Design. Designed for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center, SHIELD TV Pro levels you up to more storage space, more RAM, the expandability of 2x USB 3.0 ports, and Plex Media Server. Get the best connectivity with Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 5.0. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons—including a customizable menu button. Plus, with voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in remote control locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.
Nvidia Shield Tube Review
The Nvidia Shield Tube is a simplified version of the Shield Pro above. You save $50 in price but lose a few key features:
- No USB ports
- Only 8 GB in the hard drive
- Only 2 GB of RAM
Nearly everything else on the Shield Tube is the same as the Shield Pro above. It still contains Chromecast Ultra hardware for low-lag Oculus casting. The Android operating system comes with the Google Play Store. The remote is the same as the Shield Pro, giving you voice control features.
If you don’t plan on using the Android TV features as much, the Shield Tube allows you to save a few dollars.
Nvidia Shield Tube Features
- Features built-in Chromecast Ultra hardware
- A compact design that fits behind your TV
- Fast. Really Fast. SHIELD TV takes media streaming to a whole new level, powered by the NVIDIA Tegra X1+ processor, SHIELD TV is the world’s most powerful Android TV streaming media player.
- Dolby Vision - Atmos. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos surround sound—delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling.
- Best-In-Class Design. The new SHIELD TV is compact, stealth, and designed to disappear behind your entertainment center, right along with your cables. With Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, a built-in power supply, and a microSD card slot for storage expansion, it is powerful, feature-packed, and built for behind-the-scenes brilliance. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons—including a user-customizable button. With voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in lost remote locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.
Sony X900H Smart TV Review
The Sony X900 smart TV has awesome picture quality and runs its smart platform off Android TV hardware. It is an Nvidia Shield built in to your smart TV. And as of a software update in early 2020, the Oculus Quest can cast to any Android TV device. Casting latency is not as good as Chromecast Ultra devices, but still well serviceable.
The Sony X900H Smart TV has glorious 4K video rich with real-world texture. It is powered by a 4K HDR X1 processor and comes with a hard drive, built-in RAM, and everything else you need.
The X900H smart TV is equipped with Google Assistant and voice control to control your smart home devices. You can easily search for movies or shows with your voice. It is also compatible with Amazon Alexa. You can stream smart camera feeds, play music, and launch video apps.
If you have an Oculus Quest and need a new Smart TV, the Sony X900H will let your cast your headset to the TV. The X900H comes in a few different size options, which you can view in the Amazon listing below.
Sony X900H Smart TV Features
- Cast from your Oculus Quest straight to your TV with no extra hardware
- Lets you use your voice to control your TV
- Features a TRILUMINOS display with vivid and bright colors
- 4K HDR PROCESSOR X1: See premium 4K pictures, rich with real-world detail and texture. Upscale everything you watch to near-4K with 4K X-Reality PRO.
- TRILUMINOS Display: See exactly what the creator intended with advanced color and gradation.
- FULL ARRAY LED with local dimming: Brighter highlights and detailed dark scenes along with realistic contrast enhanced by X-tended Dynamic Range.
Hisense H5500 Android Smart TV Review
The Hisense H5500 is another smart TV with Android built in to its smart platform. It is another way to activate casting from your Oculus Quest 2 or 1 without any additional hardware. The Hisense H5500 isn’t a slick as the Sony in terms of looks, but you will save on the price. It comes in 32, 40, and 43 inches.
With this smart TV, you can stream over 500,000 movies and shows from popular apps like YouTube, Hulu, and Netflix. You can also watch sports, live news, and much more. It comes with an in-built Google Assistant for access to entertainment and control of your smart home devices with your voice.
The Hisense H55 also Bluetooth audio support, so you can stream audio to a wireless speaker or headphones.
Hisense H5500 Android Smart TV Features
- Smart TV with Android TV built in for quick VR casting
- Built-in Google Assistant lets you quickly access entertainment, get answers, and control devices around your home
- You can stream more than 500,000 shows and movies from apps like Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube
- Bluetooth audio support
- Inputs & Outputs: 2 HDMI ports, 1 Ethernet port, 2 USB Ports (v 2.0), 1 Digital Audio Output (Optical), 1 RCA Composite Video Input, 1 L/R Audio Input for composite
- Measuring 35.6 x 20.4 x 3.2 inches and 12.8 pounds (35.6 x 22.4 x 8 inches with included stand, LxWxH and 13 pounds), the 40h5500f has a 1-year manufacturer's warranty, and includes a remote (batteries included), power cable, and quick start guide.
- Enjoy crisp, immersive audio from the two 7-watt speakers and DTS studio sound virtual surround sound, or wirelessly connect a compatible sound bar, headphone, or stereo components using built-in Bluetooth connectivity.
MECOOL KM2 Android TV Box with Chromecast Support
The MECOOL KM2 is a basic Android TV box. It is powered by Android 10.0 for enhanced functionality. VR players can easily cast their headset video to the device. The Android TV hardware lets you turn any TV into a smart device.
This Android box has different connectivity options including wireless, Bluetooth, and EnterNet. Plus, it supports streaming from YouTube 4K, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and HBO MAX.
This Android TV Box supports high clarity 4K HDR, 4K Ultra HD resolution, and high dynamic range. It is also equipped with voice control functionality. This allows you to search for photos, set an alarm, and check weather conditions with your voice.
MECOOL KM2 Android TV Box Features
- Powered by Android 10.0
- Complete Google Play Store access
- Supports 4K Ultra HD resolution and High Dynamic Range (HDR)
- MECOOL Netflix Certified Google Certified Android 10.0 ATV TV Box Media Player.Netflix 4K TV Box.And with MECOOL KM2, you can enjoy high clarity Netflix films, TV Series from traditional House of Cards,Our Planet... to most recently hottest Squid Game...on your big TV Screen.
- Powered by Android 10.0 for Superior Functionality: Enjoy the latest Version of Android TV 10.0 , perfect for home entertainment, home theater, business use, and more.Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos Passthrough Supporting. Microsoft Playready, Google Widewine L1 Supporting.
- Access Tons of Contents, Enjoy movies and TV episodes from Netflix, VUDU, YouTube, and more,Netflix 4K, Disney+, Prime Video 4K, Youtube 4K, Sling, STARZ,TUBI,HBO MAX, HULU, Spotify,PLEX,Google Play Store, Google Music, Google Movie...Many apps supporting.
Pendoo Android TV Box Review
The Pendoo Android TV box is another popular streaming media box. It has full Chromecast support for virtual reality. The Pendoo Android TV Box lets you cast your favorite VR games from your Oculus Quest to your TV.
You can also watch your favorite videos through different streaming apps, including Disney+, Hulu, Prime, and YouTube. The Pendoo Android TV Box features audio and video upscaling. It is perfect for watching HDR and 6K Ultra HD video content.
Using this device is simple. Plug the device into the HDMI port and connect to the internet via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. In your Oculus App, it will come up as a casting option.
Pendoo Android TV Box Features
- Supports 6K/4K Ultra HD resolution and High Dynamic Range (HDR).
- Audio and video upscaling
- Complete Google Play Store access
- ♚【Newest Android 10.0 OS &Powerful CPU】The Android TV Box comes with the latest Android 10.0 OS and Allwinner H616 Quad-Core 64bits Cortex-A53 CPU, which raises the bar in performance and usability with a slick lag-free interface, compatibility with the latest android APPs, also deliver the best content and super smooth interface experience than other android tv box.
- ♚【4GB RAM + 128GB ROM & Mini Keyboard】The android tv box 10.0 provides 4GB RAM and the biggest 128GB ROM in the market, which improves the reliability of the android tv box and you'll have plenty of room to run more APPs and games quickly. You can also expand the storage through a microSD card or an external USB device. It comes with a free mini backlit keyboard with touchpad and rainbow LED backlit to help you easily control the android tv box.
- ♚【Dual-Band WiFi 2.4G/5.8GHz & BT 4.2】The Android TV Box has built-in more stable and faster 2.4G/5.8Ghz Dual-Band WiFi and support 10/100M Ethernet LAN. Receive a fast and high-quality WiFi signal to ensure you enjoy better quality browsing the web, playing games, running APPs, and watching movies. The built-in Bluetooth android tv box enables wireless connection, such as mouse, keyboard and controller for games and other BT enabled devices.
Google Chromecast Ultra Review
The Chromecast Ultra is a premium Chromecast device for those who want the fastest casting. The device is better than the original Chromecast 3 in a few ways:
- Streaming quality can go up to 4K
- Latency has been reduced when casting an Oculus Quest to the Chromecast Ultra
- It has a wired Ethernet port, so you don’t have to rely on Wi-Fi
With the Chromecast Ultra, latency from your Oculus Quest drops to one second or less in most situations. You can still notice a delay in Beat Saber, but only the smallest amount. Oculus is regularly improving latency via software updates.
Otherwise, the Chromecast Ultra contains all the other features that the regular Chromecast 3 has. You can cast content from any device to it and turn any regular TV into a smart TV.
Google Chromecast Ultra Features
- Supports 4K video streaming
- Less latency during casting verses the Chromecast 3
- Includes a wired Ethernet port
What Chromecast device do you use to cast your Oculus Quest video? Comment down below and let us know!