Come take at a look at the best VR ready laptops for 2022 and get yourself a portable computer for playing in virtual reality.
In this guide, we take a look at:
- Pros and cons of VR ready laptops vs desktop computers
- The absolute best laptops for VR you can buy for the Oculus Rift, Quest 2, Reverb G2, HTC Vive & more.
- Important specs to consider an features you need to consider in a VR gaming laptop
Below, we have a solid VR ready laptop for under $1000! We also have other affordable and spec-heavy options to consider.
If you recently purchased a VR ready laptop, let us know which one you went with by commenting down below!
What are the Best VR Ready Laptops in 2022?
- MSI GS66 Stealth – Best Slim VR Laptop
- Razer Blade 15 – Best Mid Tier Laptop
- Asus ROG Zephyrus S15 – RTX 2080 Gaming Laptop
- MSI Stealth GS77 – Best Premium VR Laptop
- ASUS ROG Strix Scar 17 – Best Gaming Laptop for Flat + VR
- Alienware Area 51m – Most Popular Laptop for VR
- Acer Nitro 5 – Best Gaming Laptop Under $1000
- Alienware Aurora R10 – Best AMD VR Laptop
- Alienware m15 R4 – Best 15″ VR Gaming Laptop
MSI GS66 Stealth
Best Slim VR Laptop
The MSI GS66 is one of the most amazing gaming laptops. MSI is a prominent name when it comes to high performance and classy laptops. The GS66 Stealth in thin and has a sleek chassis, which makes it very attractive for users.
When it comes to the CPU, it has an Intel Core i9-11900H processor and NVidia GeForce RTX 3070 8GB graphics card. The 3070 is part of Nvidia’s RTX graphics cards which they announced just before the pandemic and have been trying to catch up in stock ever since.
The GS65 comes with 32 GB of RAM, which I really like. It comes with a 15.6 inch HD display and 1 TB hard drive. This laptop was released in the middle of 2021 and is a really good mid-tier option to look at.
- The laptop has excellent performance.
- It has a gorgeous and clear display.
- The laptop comes with effective internal thermal management so that the system won’t heat up.
- Native audio is poor.
- More costly than the previous generation GS65.
- 【Memory & Storage】Memory is 32GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once. Hard Drive is 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive which allows to fast bootup and data transfer
- 【Processor】11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900H 2.50GHz 8-Core Processor (16MB Cache, up to 4.90GHz), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Graphics
- 【Screen】15.6" QHD 165Hz Non-touch (2560 x 1440) Display
Razer Blade 15 Base
Best Mid Tier VR Laptop
Razor is a brand that makes hardware specifically for high-tech gaming. The Blade 15 Razer laptop is one of their mid-tier models for VR gaming laptops. It has an Aluminum chassis which feels strong. It has server-grade thermal materials for maximal heat dissipation.
The Blade 15 is cheaper than the MSI GS66 and you still get the respected Intel i7-10750 CPU and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 GPU. The laptop footprint is a little bigger, but will dissipate heat better too.
The Razer Blade 15 VR laptop has a 120hz refresh rate on the display. It is one of our favorite virtual reality gaming laptops under $1500.
If you want more power, Razer sells Blade 14 advanced models as well with more upgrades to pick from.
- The laptop is amazing in terms of its performance.
- Storage capacity is sufficient.
- Display size is really fantastic.
- Has an outdated Nividia GeForce RTX GPU.
- Aspect Ratio:16:9
- More power: The 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5.0 GHz max turbo and 6 cores.
- Ray-tracing: The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 is powered by the NVIDIA Turing GPU architecture and brings cinematic-quality rendering to the most visually intense games.
Asus ROG Zephyrus S15
GeForce RTX 2080 VR Laptop
The Asus ROG Zephyrus S15 is a solid VR laptop. It is comparable in price to the Razer Blade above, but has an RTX 2080 Super graphics cards with ROG Boost technology. ROG Boost is an extra overclocking technology that can temporarily push out more power during intense moments. It’s perfect for VR games, which can eat up a lot of resources.
In fact, the Zephyrus S15 supports a 144Hz display refresh rate and a response time of just 3 ms. Reviews on this laptop praise how bright the screen is in all conditions. USB Type-C connections make it a modern option.
- The laptop has a slim design and comes with GeForce RTX graphics.
- It has narrow screen bezels.
- The laptop comes with a backlit keyboard.
- The webcam is missing on this laptop.
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with ROG Boost
- Intel Core i7-10875H
- 15.6" 300Hz 3ms Full HD IPS Display
MSI Stealth GS77
Best Premium VR Laptop
The Stealth by MSI makes our list again, this time as the best top-of-the-line VR ready laptop you can buy with the GS 77. This is a new 2022 powerful laptop that features top of the line in every category:
- CPU: Intel i9-12900H
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti 16GB
- RAM: 64 GB
- Hard Drive: 4 TB NVMe SSD (Samsung 980 Pro)
- Display Size: 17.3″
The GS77 features a full 4K UHD display and the Windows 11 Pro operating system. If you want a system that will cover you for five years and play the most demanding games, this is the VR gaming laptop you want. At 6 pounds, it’s also lighter than some of the other options on this list, which is an impressive feat.
- Display: 17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 4K 120Hz Thin Bezel Display (100% Adobe RGB)
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6 Graphics Card w/ Up to 1225MHz Boost Clock (105W Maximum TGP w/ Dynamic Boost 2.0)
- Processor: 12th Gen Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900H 14 Cores (1.8GHz-5.0GHz, 24MB Intel Smart Cache, 45W)
Asus ROG Strix Scar 17
Best Gaming Laptop for Flat + VR
If you plan on playing both flat games and virtual reality ones on your laptop, then the Strix Scar 17 is the laptop for you. The display on this laptop is gorgeous, 240 Hz and quad HD quality. The graphics card communicates directly with your display, minimizing latency as much as possible.
For other specs, the Strix Scar also passes the test. It has an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti graphics card, Intel Core i9 processor, 2 TB solid-state drive, and other goodies.
Asus gaming laptops are always eye-catching and this one is no different. It features an RGB light show and a high quality mechanical and backlit keyboard. The only drawback is no webcam, but everything else is designed for premium flat + VR gameplay.
- Top of the line display with high quality and no latency.
- Advanced liquid cooling system with arc flow fans and 0dB ambient cooling
- 12th gen Intel core processor
- No webcam
Alienware Area 51m
Most Popular VR Capable Laptop
The Alienware Area 51m is another VR ready gaming laptop worth checking out. At the time it was released in 2020, it was one of the most powerful gaming laptops you could buy.
This laptop has an Intel Core i7 10700K CPU and NVidia RTX 2070 Super graphics card. It comes with a full 1 TB hard drive and 16 GB of RAM as well. You can get the laptop in a full 17.3″ display. If you are serious about both VR gaming and portability, the Area 51M is the top pick.
- The laptop has solid performance and excellent graphics.
- It comes with outstanding Space Station aesthetic.
- All the major components of this device are upgradable.
- It is comparatively expensive.
- It has a total weight of 8.5 pounds, heavier than some other VR ready gaming laptops.
- Massive memory: The Area-51m R2 is also Alienware’s first gaming laptop to support up to 64GB of DDR4 memory at 2933Mhz or 32GB of DDR4 XMP memory at 3200Mhz
- 2.5Gbps Ethernet: The Area-51m R2 features a 2.5Gbps bandwidth Ethernet connection, giving gamers 2.5x the amount of common wired Ethernet connections for blazing-fast file transfers
- Advanced keyboard: With the Alienware TactX keyboard, N-key rollover technology enables over 108-key commands for maximum actions per minute and 1.7mm of key travel allows for rapid response for any keystroke
Acer Nitro 5
Best VR Ready Laptop Under $1000
The Acer Nitro 5 is our pick for a budget-friendly gaming laptop under $1000. It provides good performance and VR-capable specs at a very reasonable price. Unfortunately, users have to sacrifice with a less bright display. The laptop also has a decent webcam so that you can enjoy video calling features.
The Nitro 5 comes configurable in a bunch of different RAM and hard drive options. For under $1000, you get an Intel i5 10300H CPU and Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 graphic card. Both of these are fine for VR gaming. The configuration for under $1000 comes with 16 GB of RAM, a 256 SSD hard drive, and an additional 1 TB HDD harddrive.
If you can spend a little bit more, a 32 GB RAM configuration with 2 TB word of solid state space is worth it for an extra $500.
- Great value for money.
- Keyboard quality is really good.
- Quality of its webcam is also good.
- The display is a little dark, which isn’t a big deal if this is purely for VR gaming.
- 【Powerful Performance with i5-10300H Quad Core】Intel Core i5-10300H (up to 4.5 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB L3 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads)
- 【Customization】Seal is opened for Hardware/Software upgrade only to enhance performance. Upgrade to 16GB DDR4 SDRAM, 256 GB NVMe PCIe SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM HDD, No DVD
- 【Display and graphics】15.6 144Hz FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS LED backligh Display, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Graphics with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
Alienware Aurora R10
Best AMD VR Ready Laptop
If you would prefer an AMD laptop for VR, then the Aurora R10 is our pick. It has a liquid-cooled thermal design, which should keep things running cool even while playing virtual reality experiences.
The R10 features the Ryzen 9 5900 CPU and Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB graphics card. It comes with a 2 TB solid-state drive and an additional 2 TB HDD drive. It is made for hardcore gamers.
A lot of buyers love the quiet sound and the easy I/O ports located in the front. This will allow you to plug in your Oculus Rift or HTC Vive with ease.
- AMD hardware is optimized for virtual reality games
- PCI Express 4.0 included, which speeds up the data transfer of the graphics card
- Unique eye-catching design
- Despite being liquid cooled, there are a lot of complains about the loud fan.
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE: The Alienware Aurora R10 Ryzen Edition Gaming Desktop PC was designed to empower gamers seeking computer and graphics horsepower with 12-core AMD Ryzen processors.
- NO WORLD IS TOO BIG: Power through your favorite games or edit your favorite maps seamlessly with 32GB 3466Mhz XMP overclockable DDR4 memory.
- THE LATEST TECH: PCI-Express 4.0 provides graphics, storage drives and networking adapters greater bandwidth so that every component in this gaming desktop performs at the highest level.
Alienware m15 R4
Best 15″ Laptop
A lot of the premium VR ready laptops are 17 inches so that they can pack some extra technology and power into the frame. The m15 by Alienware strikes the right balance of power and size. If you are going to be mostly playing VR games, the size of your screen won’t be as important to you.
The m15 R4 has the GeForce RTX3070 graphics card. Everything else is customizable, like an Intel i7 or i9 CPU. You can select a bunch of different hard drive and RAM options as well.
The biggest downside to this 15-inch laptop frame is the battery life. However, you might not care if its plugged in and attached to your VR headset all the time.
- More compact design and weight
- Stylish frame and keyboard design
- 4K OLED display
- Lower battery life because of its smaller frame
- 15.6-inch FHD (Full HD 1920 x 1080) 144Hz 7ms 300-nits 72% color gamut
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10870H (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.0GHz Max Turbo Frequency)
- 16GB 2933MHz DDR4 , 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
What are VR Ready Laptops?
For some people, the term “VR Ready” might be new. Virtual reality ready gaming laptops are laptops that our advanced enough to support today’s popular virtual reality headsets:
- Meta Quest 2
- Oculus Rift S
- HTC Vive Pro and Cosmos
- HP Reverb G2
VR ready laptops contain a CPU, GPU, memory, and hard drive that can handle the extra power required by VR headsets. VR laptops will generate detailed graphics and rapid frame rates verses regular ones. They are also portable and can be moved wherever you need to.
These laptops allow you to experience 360-degree games and immersive experiences, but in a smaller form.
Pros and Cons of VR Ready Laptops
Are you considering a VR laptop vs a gaming PC? There are a few pros and cons to going with a portable computer over a fixed one.
The following are the pros of a VR ready gaming laptop:
- A VR ready laptop is portable. You can take it anywhere you want and play games on it.
- All components come in one package. You don’t need to purchase your hardware, screen, keyboard, and mouse separate.
- A laptop display is smaller, which is ok for virtual reality gaming
- VR ready gaming laptops are comparatively expensive to gaming PCs.
- With less room for components, laptops have to be more careful about including top-of-the-line hardware components.
- Expensive gaming laptops still run hotter than comparable desktop computers.
VR Laptop Minimum Requirements
When it comes to computer gaming, better hardware mean higher quality. Better parts also means higher costs, so you have to balance all of your decisions out.
Built from the ground up with VR in mind, Half-Life: Alyx is the number one VR game of all time. It’s also the most intensive in terms of minimum requirements. If your PC can play Alyx, we are confident that it will play anything available in VR today (even Cyberpunk 2077 in VR).
The following are the minimum PC requirements for Half Life: Alyx:
- Operating System: Windows 10
- CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 processor or Ryzen 5 1600
- RAM: 12 GB of system memory
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX 580
- GPU RAM: 6 GB of video memory
By buying a PC that meets Half Life: Alyx’s specs, you’ll be able to run any virtual reality game. If you go with an RTX graphics cards over the old GeForce GTX. models, you’ll further future-proof yourself for graphics-heavy games.
Next, we will go through the top VR ready gaming laptops so that you can choose anyone according to your requirements and budget.
Things to Consider When Buying a VR Ready Laptop
All the laptops above meet the recommended specifications for playing VR games. If you want to learn more about each component or want to build your own laptop, here are the specs you need to consider:
The graphics card is the most important component for playing VR games. It is in charge of processing everything you see in your VR headset. Virtual reality games require a better GPU than regular PC games, so spend your extra money for an upgrade here.
CPU and Memory
The CPU processes all regular non-graphic calculations in your computer. Memory stores information that might need to be recalled by the CPU quickly. If you want to help out your CPU, purchase more memory for your laptop. The recommended level of CPU right now is at the AMD Ryzen 1500X or Intel core i5. All the latest laptops come with much better CPUs than these. For memory, 12 GB or more is recommended.
Most laptop screens come in a 15.6″ size and this is the smallest we would recommend. Some laptops have a 17″ screen, which gives it more space for other components too. However, these laptops are less portable to move around. If you’d like a bigger screen, we recommend a bigger external monitor to plug your laptop into at home.
Battery life is important if you plan on travelling with your laptop. We recommend a battery life of at least 7 hours in 2022. Playing games without being plugged into a power source is not recommended. Your CPU and GPU will be throttled to extend your battery life.
How much you want to spend on a VR ready laptop is important. This will give you an idea of what specs you can afford. VR laptops are more expensive compared to regular laptops or equivalent desktop hardware. More features in your laptop will require you to pay more. If you are looking for a budget-friendly laptop, then you have to compromise on some features.
Gaming Laptop Brand
There are a few well established brands in this space that offer top-tier design, high quality machines, and the latest specs:
These brands design their laptops to be able to play graphics-heavy games and are good for virtual reality.
Hopefully this gives you a good idea on what you should look for in a good VR ready laptop. If you have any other recommendations, comment below and let us know!