If you’ve been following Reddit, there are reports of the Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap breaking during normal use.
Breaking a lot. Over 50 reports on Reddit complete with pictures so far.
If this has you nervous to buy the upgraded $50 strap from Oculus, we have 5 Elite Strap alternatives below to check out.
If you know of any other headbands for the Oculus Quest 2, comment below and let us know.
Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap Breaking – What’s the Deal?
Shortly after its release, a few users on Reddit because posting vertical cracks in the sideband of their Elite Straps. While anecdotal at first, the number of complaints has risen above 30! Below, you can see some of the reoccurring issues that some users are see with their Elite Strap breaking. The issue looks similar in most cases: a vertical crack in the center of the side band. It looks like this might be the spot where the most pressure is placed on the headband.
Its hard to tell for sure if this is an isolated issue or manufacturer’s defect. However it is worth nothing that Oculus has removed the Elite strap from ordering on their official website. They have no issued a warranty fix or recall details yet.
If this has you nervous at all, there are other headband options for making your Quest 2 more comfortable over the original soft strap that comes with the hardware by default.
Below, we take a look at some of your options.
Best Oculus Quest 2 Elite Strap Alternatives
Vive Deluxe Audio Strap with Frankenquest 2
The Vive Deluxe Audio Strap (DAS) is one of the most popular VR headset band thats been released. They are designed with adjustable earphones, which give you more immersive sound over the default audio built into the Quest’s sideband.
The padding on the DAS is superior, with soft padding on all parts that touch your face. The DAS features an adjustment dial that you rotate on your head to fit everything into place. If you prefer to play Oculus Link, the DAS allows you to comfortable place your cable through the headband.
In order to get the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap working with the Oculus Quest 2, you need to purchase the Frankenquest 2. These are 3D-printed side pieces that attach to your Quest 2 and connect to the DAS solution.
The cost of the DAS is $99 and the cost of the Frankenquest 2 is $19.99. This solution is double the price of the elite strap, but you get immersive off-ear headphones to work with the Quest 2. Plus, it is one of the most favorite Elite Strap alternatives according to user reviews and happy customers who have the DAS.
Click here to buy the FrankenQuest 2. Buy the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap off of Amazon below.
- Designed with adjustable earphones, allowing you to enjoy the 360-degree realistic sound in even more comfort and convenience.
- Features interior padding for extra contentment. An adjustment dial allows for just the right fit. You can place the cable path at a side position to enjoy an even more immersive experience.
- Provide integrated earphones with great sound quality so you will have a more convenient VR experience.
BeswinVR Head Strap
The BeswinVR head strap was originally designed for the Oculus Quest 1. However, it can be utilized with the Quest 2 with a little bit of customization (see below). The new 2020 updated version is improved even more for users. When you install the BeswinVR head strap, it takes away the squeeze and pressure on your face and nose.
We like how durable the BeswinVR is, which makes it a good Elite Strap alternative. Like the DAS, this head strap features an adjustment dial that allows you to get the fit perfect on your head. It also has a patented design so copycats are not allowed.
In order to get this head strap working with the Oculus Quest 2, you have two options:
- Purchase a 3D printed Quest2Halo1Spacer to fit the updated smaller design on the Quest 2.
- Create a do-it-yourself spacer made with velcro and double-sided tape and stick it to the arm adapter. This will take you a bit of effort, but is the cheapest solution to convert the BeswinVR head strap for the Quest 2. Click here to view the instructions.
Purchase this head strap below.
- Tips to Quest 2 user: The Halo strap black model is designed for Quest 1. For Quest 2 user, - Please D.I.Y arm spacer made of Velcro+ double-sided tape and stick to arm adapter. It will take you 3-5 minutes, which is fastest and cheapest solution. Get Instruction here: https://pic.yupoo.com/beswin/93f89453/105e9d3b.png
- 【Latest Version】2020 ergonomic Designed head strap for Oculus Quest, No squeeze on face and nose, 50: 50 Balance weight between Oculus quest headset and head Strap.
- 【Comfort and Convenience】Easy-to-use size adjustment dial and hard-sided construction, 99% comfortable like HTC Vive Audio strap.
AliExpress Quest 2 Halo Headband
Ali Express is selling a new Oculus Quest 2 halo headband option. It looks similar to the Elite Strap, but with an adjustable halo design that rests on the top of the headset. It is one of the first third party Elite Strap alternatives designed specifically for the Quest 2.
The posting for this halo headband claims that it is easy to wear, flexible, and adjustable to different fits. You can adjust both the front and the back to adjust angle, fit, and comfort level. It will help balance the weight of your Quest 2 on your head and make things more comfortable.
At only $32, this Elite Strap alternative is cheaper than the official strap. If it is good quality, it could be the right solution to try.
Oculus Quest 2 Pro Headmount
The Pro Headmount is a futuristic looking Elite Strap alternative that can be quickly installed on your Quest 2. The nice thing about this headmount is that it supports one of Anker’s Powerbank batteries to extend the life of a headset charge (more on that below).
This headband forehard cover is very soft and is completely washable. The rear strap has a ratchet, similar to most bike helmets. This allows for easy tightening and loosening of the mount. All of the straps included in this Pro Headmount are adjustable for different head sizes.
In order to counterbalance better, the Pro Headmount comes in 3 different models that support Anker’s Powercore external batteries. The Powerbanks deliver up to 10000mAh and also act as a counterweight to the otherwise front heavy Quest. This counterweight is placed right in the nape of your neck, making the headset near pressure-less on your face, relying more on the headband on the forehead.
To purchase the Pro Headmount and Powerbanks, first click the link below to check out and buy the headmount. Then, buy the Powercore associated with the Pro Headmount you purchased.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Remarkably Compact: One of the smallest and lightest 10,000mAh portable chargers. Provides almost three-and-a-half iPhone 8 charges or two-and-a-half Galaxy S8 charges.
- High-Speed Charging: Anker’s exclusive PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to deliver the fastest possible charge for any device. Qualcomm Quick Charge not supported.
- Small Size, Big Power: PowerCore 10000 Redux provides more than two charges for iPhone XS or Galaxy S10, and over one charge for iPad mini 5.
- Versatile Charging: Anker's exclusive PowerIQ and Voltage Boost technology combine to deliver the fastest possible charge for any device, while the trickle-charging mode is the only way to charge low-power devices.
- Certified Safe: MultiProtect is Anker's 11-point safety system, providing superior protection for you and your devices.
- Portable Power: PowerCore Slim 10000 PD is one of our Slimmest power delivery power banks yet, with enough capacity to provide more than two charges for iPhone XS or Google Pixel, and almost one full charge for an 11" Ipad Pro. And the 18W USB-C power delivery output provides fast charging for a huge range of phones and tablets including iPhone 11 Pro.
- Triple Charging Modes: 18W power delivery USB-C port, poweriq-enabled USB-A port, and Trickle-Charging mode for low-power devices. Use the dual USB ports to charge two devices simultaneously.
- Rapid Recharge: Power up your PowerCore in just 4.5 hours with a USB-C Power Delivery wall charger (not included). Recharging via USB-A charger and cable (not included) will take approximately 10.2 hours.
IOVROIGO Adjustable Halo Strap
The IOVROIGO Oculus Quest 2 head strap is a new alternative to the market. The design looks like the original elite strap in a lot of ways, but it has some really nice features we think Quest users will like.
To start, the headband has not been 3D printed and is manufactured with durability in mind. The main body is made from high-quality ABS plastic which always looks clean. High-quality leather and foam cushion is used for the soft parts for maximum comfort on your face.
The IOVROIGO contains a fit-wheel dial that is easy to adjust to tighten and loosen. The company promises a front-to-back ratio of 50:50 so that your headset sits perfect on your head.
The headset is shipping from November 10th, 2020 onward!
- 【Premium Material】The main body of the Head Strap is made of high-quality ABS plastic, high-quality PU leather and foam cushion. ABS plastic ensures that the surface is always kept clean, and the PU foam pad design is soft and comfortable.Easy to install and remove.
- 【Beautiful and durable】All parts of the headband have not been 3D printed, so it has a long service life, which is both strong and beautiful.
- 【Easy to adjust】The headband adapter adopts a rotatable adjustment method, which can be flexibly adjusted according to the personal head wearing posture. Provide longer game time and more comfortable game experience.
What other Elite Strap alternatives have you found for the Oculus Quest 2? Has your Elite Strap broke or do you have any concerns about the quality of them now? Comment below and let us know!