2022 is an exciting year for virtual reality, with at least 5 upcoming VR headsets that are going to be released! In this guide, we go over information about all upcoming VR headsets from:
All of these headsets represent the future of virtual reality gaming. They represent the entire metaverse concept and are the start of a future mixed reality world that contains augmented reality smart glasses.
If you have any questions about any of the upcoming VR headsets we featured in this guide, comment down below and let us know.
The Best Upcoming VR Headsets
The Playstation VR2 is one of the upcoming VR headsets in 2022. The headset is packed with improvements over the original PSVR, which was released in 2016.
The PSVR2 includes a 4K OLED display, single-cord setup, and implementation of haptic feedback. Sony has been quietly testing hardware internally and releasing patents that provide a hint at features in the new headset.
The Playstation VR2 comes with brand new redesigned Sense controllers. The halo-shaped controllers have a number of new sensors packed into them. They communicate back to the headset, which has a new inside-out tracking system (an improvement over the original Playstation VR).
When it is released, Playstation VR2 is primed for a big splash, as Sony has optimized the console for Unreal Engine 5. So, you can expect intense gameplay and gorgeous graphics.
Although there is no official date for the release of the headset, rumors have it that the Playstation VR2 will be launched sometime in the Fall of 2022. We should be getting a ton of new information in the coming months.
- Playstation VR2 is equipped with a 4K OLED display.
- It has 110 degree field of view and eye tracking.
- The IPD adjustment range is between 57 and 72 mm.
- The headset will support foveated rendering.
During the unveiling of the upcoming VR headset, Sony announced that Horizon Call of the Mountain and other Playstation exclusives, including Horizon: Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West are games that the headset will support.
Other games that you can expect to play on the Playstation VR2 are Hitman 3 and Resident Evil 7. Sony has always worked with developers to implement virtual reality support, so we expect a few exclusive titles with the headset.
The price of the Playstation VR2 is still unknown. We expect it to come in at the same or less price as the PS5 console, which retails for $599 MSRP.
Like Meta, Sony has the unique advantage of selling its VR headset below or at-cost and then making money off of each game it sells on its platform.
Apple VR Headset
The Apple VR headset is an upcoming VR headset from the Cupertino giant. It will be Apple’s first hardware release in the augmented or virtual reality space, though the company has been releasing new software features for the past five years.
Rumors say that all components will be inside of the device and it will not require a tethered connection to a nearby PC. Apple’s M-series computer chip provides serious processing power and the inclusion in a VR hardware would instantly be a fan favorite.
The Apple VR is a precursor to future augmented reality smart glasses designed for everyday use.
Early manufacturer leaks say that the Apple VR will have a curved visor with a soft mesh material, swappable headbands, and more. It will feature flat pancake lenses, similar to the HTC Vive Flow, for a small form factor. The Apple code name for the VR headset is N301.
According to the latest rumors, Apple VR may unveil the upcoming VR headset at the WWDC developer conference in June 2022. After that, the headset will be released in the fall or winter of 2022.
This timeline will give developers some time to implement virtual reality into their games or port their existing VR games over to the Apple ecosystem.
- Apple VR will be extremely lightweight and easy to carry around.
- The headset may be equipped with dual 8K screens with a 7680 x 4320 resolution.
- Apple VR will come with eye-tracking software.
- It will also be equipped with LiDAR scanning.
- Apple VR may have a wearable controller that can track finger movements.
There are rumors that Apple plans to integrate virtual reality into its Apple Arcade service. Launched in 2019, Apple Arcade is a monthly subscription service that gives you unlimited access to a growing library of games.
To encourage the conversion of games into VR format, Apple may also offer incentives to app developers.
The final price of the Apple VR headset is unknown, but rumors have varied from between $1,000 to $3,000 in price.In order to attract consumer interest, we expect to see the headset cost around the same price or less than an iPhone.
The Pimax 12K is a premium headset currently under construction by Pimax. Pimax 12K is the company’s 8th virtual reality headset. It is capable of tethered PC VR, native, and wireless PC VR. Also thanks to an integrated Snapdragon XR2 chip, it is also capable of pure standalone VR too.
The 12K will feature an 8K resolution screen, up to 200 Hz refresh rate, and a 150° horizontal field-of-view. Pimax has announced that it will be easy to swap its battery for those who want to purchase extend play.
The Pimax 12K headset will be running its own Android-based OS, which will push the company to sell native standalone content using its own store.
Pimax is currently running a trade-in promotion, where you can get the value of your existing VR headset off of the price of the 12K when it is launched.
The Pimax 12K is scheduled for release in Q4 of 2022.
- The Pimax 12K QLED features 2 6K mini-LED QLED panels at a resolution of 5,760 x 3,240 per-eye.
- It has a FOV of 150 degrees horizontal, 200 degrees diagonal, and 135 degrees vertical in standalone mode. In native mode, the field of view is 200 degrees horizontal, 240 degrees diagonal, and135 degrees vertical.
- The refresh rate is up to 200 hertz.
- The IPD adjustment range is between 57 and 72 mm.
- The Pimax 12K QLED is 30 percent smaller than the Pimax 8KX.
- It has a rear mounted 6000 mAh swappable battery. You can use the headset for up to 6 hours non-stop.
- This headset comes with two 6DoF controllers and has full inside-out tracking.
Since the manufacturer integrates with SteamVR, Pimax 12K QLED users can expect to play a wide range of titles on SteamVR. Once you connect Pimax 12K QLED to your PC, you will have access to all the games in the library.
Pimax also has plans to launch its own Android app store, which will be a Meta Quest competitor. This is what a lot of fans have been waiting for in upcoming VR headsets.
Pimax 12K will retail for $2,400 USD when it launches on the marketplace in late 2022. This is a hefty price tag, so the trade-in promotion if you own an existing Pimax headset is worth looking into.
Project Cambria by Meta
Project Cambria by Meta was unveiled as a concept headset during the Connect 2021 conference. Project Cambria promises to be the next generation of upcoming VR headsets that gamers can use to immerse themselves in the VR world.
The headset will feature mixed reality capabilities and other functionalities never seen before in existing Oculus variants.
Project Cambria will enable amazing and top-notch immersive experiences, closely related to the promise of the metaverse. It will allow intuitive communication through lifelike avatars, reconstruction of objects in mixed reality, and facial expressions, and more. Additionally, expect full-body tracking capability to control your virtual surroundings.
Early renders of the headset show that it has similar pancake lenses to the HTC Vive Flow, which will cut down on its form factor a lot.
One thing we do know is that Project Cambria will be tailored towards VR power users. If you are still interested in the Oculus Quest 2, it is still a great time to buy using the affiliate links below:
- Buy Meta Quest 2. Get Beat Saber. For a limited time, get the hit VR rhythm game included when you buy Meta Quest 2.* Keep your experience smooth and seamless, even as high speed action unfolds around you with a super-fast processor and high-resolution display.
- Experience total immersion with 3D positional audio, hand tracking and haptic feedback, working together to make virtual worlds feel real.
- Explore an expanding universe of over 350 titles across gaming, fitness, social/multiplayer and entertainment, including exclusive blockbuster releases and totally unique VR experiences.
The latest rumor has it that Project Cambria is at the advanced development stage and may be released for public consumption in late 2022. The release date can be affected by some shortages that have plagued the gaming and tech industry over the last year.
- Project Cambria will come with an ergonomic design. It has a sleek, all-black form factor with a ready to use thinner strap.
- The headset is equipped with tracked hand controllers.
- It will come with new sensors for facial expressions so that users can maintain eye contact inside the VR world.
- It also has a set of advanced sensors and reconstruction algorithms that you can leverage to represent virtual objects.
- Project Cambria will support third-party app experiences.
In the coming months, we are hoping that we will hear a lot more about the games supported by this headset. For now, we know that all existing and future Meta Quest 2 titles will be supported on the headset. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has been announced as an upcoming Oculus Quest game that will work on Project Cambria.
Project Cambria by Meta is being marketed as the premium headset compared to the Quest 2. We expect to see a price tagbetween $500 and $800. The price may be higher than the amount quoted here if Meta sees Apple’s AR headset as their main contender.
The Valve Deckard is another great upcoming VR headset to look out for in 2022. Valve Deckard is currently under development at Valve’s headquarters. We expect the headset to be a standalone model, which means it will have built-in wireless functionality and be a true Meta Quest competitor. This makes it both a successor to the Valve Index and something completely new.
Code for the headset has been quietly added into the Steam software code over the past number of months. It suggests a standalone headset with mixed reality features and “dual tracking” mode.
Manufacturing leaks suggest that the headset will feature eye-tracking, advanced head-tracking, and a high refresh rate inside-out tracking features.
A patent for updated knuckle controllers has also been spots, which adds a Steam Deck style analog stick.
The latest rumor suggests that buyers will be able to purchase the Valve Deckard headset sometime around the summer of 2022. As Valve builds more anticipation towards the launch of the headset, buyers should begin to save their spare change to afford this premium headset.
- This headset works as a standalone wireless VR headset.
- It looks to be equipped with VRLink, a library for the WiFi driver of the device.
- The head strap comes with variable focal length lenses for people with myopia, hypermetropia, and astigmatism.
- It has an eye-tracking module with a variable refresh rate of up to 2000 Hz.
Since Valve owns the Steam game marketplace, it is expected that Valve Deckard will support a wide range of games on Steam. This is great news for fans, as Steam is the largest game marketplace in the world.
When the Valve Deck is released in February 2022, we expect to have a better idea on what Steam games can be supported by a mobile device. We think the Deck’s release is a precursor to optimizing games for mobile VR hardware.
As of the time writing this post, there’s no information about the price tag of the headset. However, we can only suggest that you start saving your spare change to be able to afford it once it launches on the marketplace.
If you are a virtual reality gamer, there is a lot to be excited for. The upcoming VR headsets due for release in 2022 provide a hint at some of the new features coming soon to all manufacturers and models, including:
- Hand and eye tracking
- Improved motion tracking
- Refined controllers
- More realistic games, avatars, and metaverse experiences
In addition, VR support by AAA games like Grand Theft Auto and Horizon should further push VR into the mainstream. With Meta owning a large market share currently, a lot of fans have been waiting to see releases by other companies. The Playstation VR2 and Apple VR headset should provide top-tier options into the space. The Valve Index is one of the highest rated headsets available and a wireless successor will be highly rated. Not to be outdone, new releases by Meta and Pimax will look to push both companies along in the VR space.
What upcoming VR headset are you most excited to see more information on? 2022 is shaping up to be a great year for the technology, with multiple high profile devices gearing up for release.
If you have any questions about any of the upcoming VR headsets, comment down below. As soon as more information is released, we will be covering it on our home page.