In this guide, we will go over all the ways to update Oculus Quest 2 software, both automatically and manually. Stay up to date with Quest firmware and receive the latest features and updates for you headset.
We’ll go over:
- How to set up your Oculus Quest for proper updating
- When and how you update Oculus Quest firmware
- How to manually update your software
- Fixes if your Oculus Quest won’t update
If we’ve missed anything, make sure to comment below and let us know!
Oculus Quest Software
The Oculus Quest software that we will help you keep up to date below is what runs in the background on your headset. It contains settings and features for the main areas of your headset that are used by games and interactions:
- Guardian boundary
- Hand tracking
- Controller mapping (including hand tracking)
- Navigation through menus and through Oculus Home
- Internal Oculus apps like Oculus TV and Oculus Move
- How games are run on the platform
- Support for the latest protocols
Developers create their games to run on the software and Oculus keeps the software up to date with new features and bug fixes. In general, it is a good idea to update Oculus Quest software to its latest version always.
The latest version of Oculus Quest software is v23, released on December 21, 2020. It is headset version #12018400103000000.
v23 contains the following updates and fixes:
- Added support for OpenXR experimental plugin
- Added Phase Sync adaptive frame timing
- Oculus Quest 2 can now set 80Hz and 90Hz display refresh rates
- Fixed Unity MRC Vulkan gamma color issue and several validation layer errors
- Support added for OVROverlay for Vulkan
- Enabled GPU boost on Oculus Quest when MRC casting is activated
- Renamed the target device name for Oculus Quest 2 in the Android Manifest file from delmar to quest2
- Ended support for Unity version 2017.4. The minimum supported Unity Editor version for Oculus development is 2018.4.
- Updated the Oculus Unity Integration to v18.0
- Updated Oculus master license for the Oculus Integration package.
- Added new Unreal Engine 4 integration and bug fixes
- New data logging for a user’s deep link launch
- Miscellaneous API bug fixes
If you didn’t update to the new firmware version, you won’t be able to use 90 Hz refresh rate on the Oculus Quest 2. Previously, choosing not to upgrade would mean that you could not use hand tracking. Or that a few major Guardian boundary errors would be present.
Bottom line, you always want to update Oculus Quest software when a new version comes out unless you really know what you are done.
Next up, we will show you how to set up automatic or manual updates and how to change your firmware settings if you need.
Oculus Quest Automatic Update Requirements
Your Oculus Quest 2 or Quest headset will update automatically by default when you set up the headset. To make sure your software updates automatically, make sure the following is true:
- It is connected to your Wi-fi
- The headset is turned on or in sleep mode (not shut down)
- Your Quest is charged
- The headset is sitting on a stationary flat surface and the inside sensor is not being blocked
If this is true, you should be receiving automatic updates. Next, we’ll show you how to update your Oculus Quest automatically or manually.
How to Update Oculus Quest (2 or 1) Software Automatically
First, open up the Oculus app on a phone paired with your headset and click on Settings in the bottom right corner.
Select your Quest headset and make sure that it is connected with your phone and nearby.
Click on More Settings.
Select Advanced Settings.
Make sure that the switch for Update Software Automatically is turned on.
Now, when the Quest is charging, connected to Wi-Fi, and in standby mode, it will install any available updates automatically.
If you want to check and see what version you are currently running, use the manual instructions below to check in your headset.
How to Update Oculus Quest Software (2 or 1) Manually
Put on your Oculus Quest headset and open the Settings menu.
Select See All (if you don’t see all of the settings).
Tap the About page.
if a new Oculus Quest update is available, it will display the version information at the top of this screen. To update Oculus Quest software manually, click on the Install button to begin the update.
If you do not see an install button here, you have the latest version of Quest software and there is nothing to update.
NOTE: When a new software update is released, it comes out in stages to each VR headset.
How to Check your Oculus Quest Build Number
Each new software update for the Oculus Quest has a unique build number associated with it. This number is more complicated than “v23” or the version number. Plus, Oculus doesn’t always tell us directly what build number is associated with what version.
However, we’ve done the work for you by posting both the version and the build number above.
You can check your current Quest build number from your phone or from inside your headset using the instructions below:
On your phone
- Open up the Oculus app on your phone.
- Select Settings.
- Click on your Oculus Quest to connect to it if they aren’t paired already.
- Tap More Settings.
- Select About This Headset.
Your build number will be listed on this screen.
On your Oculus Quest
- Put on your headset.
- From the home screen, select Settings.
- Select See All.
- Select About.
Just compare the build number with the one above to make sure that you have the latest software update today.
Oculus Quest Won’t Update: Help and Troubleshooting
Sometimes, you know you should be able to update Oculus Quest software to the latest version, but it will not work.
Make sure all the following things are true:
- Make sure your Oculus Quest is connected to your Wi-FI network. You can confirm this if you can connect to the headset with your Oculus phone app.
- Plug your headset into a power supply to charge it overnight.
- Make sure that no VR cover or other Quest 2 accessory is blocking the inside sensor on the headset.
- Wait a few hours, especially if the update has just been released. It takes time for your Oculus Quest to register that a new update is available.
If all else fails, use the manual update process outlined above to check for new updates.
When you are running the latest version, you will be able to play the best Oculus Quest 2 games without any trouble!
Hopefully, this takes away any trouble to update Oculus Quest software! If you are still having difficulty, comment down below and let us know.