Netflix is the number one streaming app for movies and TV shows. But, can you watch Netflix in virtual reality using a VR headset like the Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest, Google Daydream, or Samsung Gear?
In this guide, we’ll show you how to install, setup, and watch Netflix VR no matter what hardware you have. We’ll go over the Netflix VR app and how to set things up right.
Comment down at the bottom of this guide if you are having any trouble.
- What is Netflix VR?
- Which VR Headsets Can you Watch Netflix On?
- How to Install Netflix VR App
- How to Watch Netflix in Virtual Reality (VR)
- How to Switch Between Living Room and Void Mode on Netflix VR
- Does Netflix Have Any VR Movies?
What is Netflix VR?
Netflix VR is an app that lets users stream Netflix’s catalog of movies and TV shows through their virtual reality headset.
Unlike the regular app interface, the Netflix VR app is optimized for watching in a headset. Once you are setup, you can watch Netflix in virtual reality easily. If you are wearing a wireless headset such as the Oculus Quest 1 or Quest 2, you can sit anywhere you want in your home.
Living Room Mode
One of the features in the app is a living room mode. It places you in a virtual living room with a TV screen over top of a fireplace. When you wear your headset, you sit on the couch and can look around the area.
In living room mode, you have to sit upright and look straight ahead. If you lay down, you’ll be looking up at the virtual ceiling as well.
Void mode is the second option for watching Netflix in virtual reality. In this mode, you stare into black space. Video is streamed to each of your eyes up close and personal.
The video quality of Netflix VR is capped at 480p video quality. At first glance, this seems like a big disadvantage to watching Netflix with VR hardware. However, remember that the screen resolution for virtual reality is much lower and that the screen sits inches from your eyes.
Overall, the number of pixels in virtual reality is similar to what you see through your HD TV.
Which VR Headsets Can you Watch Netflix On?
Here are all of the VR headsets officially compatible with Netflix VR:
- Oculus Rift S
- Oculus Quest
- Samsung Gear
- Google Daydream
- Google Cardboard
Even if your headset isn’t listed above, you can still watch Netflix on it. You can use an app called Big Screen to mirror your desktop screen in VR. In this way, you can watch on your HTC Vive, Valve Index, Oculus Quest or other headset.
Instructions for using Big Screen are down below. Next, we will show you how to install Netflix and get setup in virtual reality.
How to Install Netflix VR App
Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest, Oculus Go, and Samsung Gear VR
The instructions to install Netflix VR on an Oculus VR headset is the same for the Oculus Rift, Quest, or Go.
- Launch the Oculus App on your phone.
- Search for Netflix
- Click on the Netflix icon in your search result.
- Click on Install
The Netflix Oculus Rift app is the same as the Netflix Oculus Quest app and provides all of the same features.
If you didn’t know already, Samsung Gear VR is powered by Oculus.
- Open up the Google Play Store app
- Use the search button (magnifying glass) to search for Netflix VR
- Click on the Netflix VR app in the search result
- Tap Free to download the app
- Press OK when prompted
HTC Vive and Valve Index
The HTC Vive doesn’t have the native Netflix VR app available to install. However, PC-based virtual reality headsets can still watch Netflix! To watch Netflix on the HTC Vive, you need to download a desktop sharing app such as Bigscreen.
With Bigscreen VR, you can share your desktop with your virtual reality headset. You won’t get living room mode, but you will be apple to watch Netflix in virtual reality with your headset on. The experience is similar to what you get with the Netflix VR app.
How to Watch Netflix in Virtual Reality (VR)
- Launch the Netflix VR app. If it’s your first time, you’ll be asked to enter your Netflix username and password in order to log in.
- When Netflix opens, you’ll be sitting on couch in a virtual living room. On the TV in front of you is the same Netflix interface you see on any other device.
- Select your user (if you have multiple ones setup on Netflix). The regular Netflix home screen will open.
- Navigate and pick your TV show or movie.
- When you hit Play, your virtual living room dims around you and the show starts playing.
If it sounds easy to watch Netflix in virtual reality, that’s because it is! The only thing else to know is how to switch between living room and void mode.
How to Switch Between Living Room and Void Mode on Netflix VR
- When you are sitting in your virtual living room, look up at the ceiling.
- Click on Void Theater to change to Void mode.
- The Netflix video now floats in front of you without the living room setting.
Once you are in Void mode, you can switch back to Living Room mode or change to Travel mode. Travel mode is the same as void mode, but the screen is fixed to the middle of your eyesight.
Does Netflix Have Any VR Movies?
No, Netflix does not have any movies that are specifically made for virtual reality. All of the movies and TV shows in Netflix are standard 2D and will be broadcast this way. Netflix does not have any 3D movies anymore either. It used to catalog 3D films, but phased them out after the technology was phased out of HD televisions.
What do you think of watching Netflix in virtual reality? Comment down below and let us know what improvements you hope are made to the Netflix VR app!