In this guide, we will look at how to install, setup, and play Minecraft VR! We have full information on all VR headsets including the Oculus Rift S, HTC Vive, HP Reverb G2, Playstation VR, Oculus Quest, and more.
We will also take a look at the differences or similarities between Minecraft VR and Vivecraft. Plus, how to install the game on your virtual reality headset.
This article will also share some tips that will help you play Minecraft VR like a professional.
- What is Minecraft?
- Minecraft VR vs Vivecraft
- How To Install Minecraft VR on Oculus Rift
- How To Install Vivecraft VR
- How to Install Minecraft on the Oculus Quest
- How to Install Minecraft on Playstation VR
- Minecraft VR Tips
- Minecraft VR Gameplay Videos
What is Minecraft?
Minecraft is an action-adventure sandbox title created by Mojang way back in 2009 and purchased by Microsoft in 2014.. It offers players a limitless virtual world where they can build anything with an array of different modes. It is perfect for almost any type of gamer. Minecraft is available on almost any gaming platform: computers, Sony Playstation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo Switch, VR, mobile devices (pocket edition), tablets, and more.
Minecraft comes with lots of features, including crafting, gathering basic necessities, creating safety, and exploring. If you are a creative person, you will enjoy the endless playground the game has to offer. You can build virtually anything you can imagine. The team frequently releases new worlds, equipment, and modifications that keep the game fresh and exciting for players.
Along with Roblox and Fortnite, Minecraft is one of the most popular games of all time. The popularity of the game has led to online showcases of elaborate lands that have been built. Real world locations like San Francisco, New York, Paris, and other cities have been modeled in Minecraft for users to explore.
The game’s two main games are Creative and Survival Mode.
In Survival, players must find their own building supplies and food. They also interact with blocklike mobs or moving creatures.
In Creative Mode, players are given supplies and do not have to eat to survive. They also can break all kinds of blocks immediately.
When the first virtual reality headsets were released, fans were quick to create a third-party hack that allowed Minecraft to be played in VR. This VR version hack is still available today and it is called Vivecraft.
Over time, Minecraft has added support for virtual reality to some select headsets. The Samsung Gear VR edition was the first to receive support and the Oculus Rift VR headset does today too. At one point, Oculus and Minecraft even partnered on a VR headset and controller bundle.
Today, the official VR version is one of the most popular and immersive VR games available. Virtual reality gives players a more immersive experience verses traditional PC gaming. If you have an Oculus Rift headset and own the PC version, VR Minecraft is available as a free update.
Minecraft gets even more advanced with ray tracing if you own one of the new Nvidia RTX 30-series graphics cards.
Next, we’ll go over the official Minecraft virtual reality version verses Vivecraft including their similarities and differences. This will help you decide which VR experience is best for you to install.
Minecraft VR vs Vivecraft
Virtual reality support has been added to Minecraft VR through a close partnership with Facebook and Oculus. Oculus headset owners can download the VR addon for free from the Oculus store. When they run it in their VR headset, Minecraft will launch with full VR support. When the Minecraft game is updated, Rift S owners have VR support immediately. There is no need to wait for a mod to catch up with the main game release.
Vivecraft is a third-party mod that makes Minecraft compatible with virtual reality. It’s compatible with all headsets including all HTC and Oculus devices. The official Minecraft virtual reality only works on the Oculus Rift. In order to use Vivecraft, you must install SteamVR on your computer. Both options support multiplayer.
Players are mixed on which one is better between official Minecraft vs Vivecraft for virtual reality. Regular Minecraft has motion sickness due to the artificial movement. Vivecraft in teleport mode greatly reduces motion sickness, so it should be a lot better.
Official Minecraft offers better performance because it maintains a solid 90 FPS at much higher view distances. On the other hand, a lot of players prefer the Vivecraft control scheme a lot better.
Ultimately, both are worth checking out if you have an Oculus device. Or else, go with Vivecraft today.
How To Install Minecraft VR on Oculus Rift
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to install Minecraft on Oculus’ flagship headset:
- Purchase the official Windows or Java version of Minecraft (it doesn’t matter which one) and install it on your computer.
- Download Oculus Home on your computer visiting www.oculus.com/setup and click on the “start download” button.
- In Oculus Home, search for Minecraft and install the free game. This will install the virtual reality runtime files.
- The next time you launch Minecraft from inside your Rift headset, the regular Windows game will launch with full VR-support.
How To Install Vivecraft VR
Follow the steps below to install Vivecraft VR:
- Make sure that you’ve installed and run SteamVR on your PC before.
- Buy, download, and run the Minecraft Launcher on your PC. The Launcher will set up the necessary files.
- Download the latest version of Vivecraft. Run the Vivecraft Installer.
- Go through the installation options that pop up. You’ll be able to see what they do by holding your mouse cursor over each option. It’s best if you leave defaults the way they are.
- With everything set, go ahead and install Vivecraft. This process might take time because you need to download some files.
- After downloading those files, rerun the Minecraft Launcher. You’ll automatically see a profile for Vivecraft, and you’ll be good to go.
- You can now hit play and dive into the world of Vivecraft with the control options you prefer.
How to Install Minecraft on the Oculus Quest
Despite not being available in the official Quest store, you can still install Minecraft on a mobile VR device such as the Oculus Quest as long as you have the following things:
- Oculus Quest VR Heaset (duh)
- Oculus Link cable (the Quest charging cable works) or Virtual Desktop and Quest mod
Both Oculus Link and Virtual Desktop will work to play Minecraft. Since the charging cable now works for Link, it’s the free method to setup Minecraft. However, you will have a cable attached to your PC which some people just don’t like. We’ll show both options below. Once you have all of those, here is how you install Minecraft VR on the Oculus Quest:
Oculus Link Method
- Install Minecraft Java or Windows 10 Edition (it doesn’t matter) on your Windows PC from the official Minecraft website.
- Search and download the Minecraft extension from the Oculus Rift store.
- Put on your Oculus Quest and attach your Link cable to your PC.
- Launch the Rift platform through Oculus Link and start Minecraft.
Our Oculus Link guide has instructions on how to download and get the Rift platform setup on your computer if you need more help.
Virtual Desktop Method
- Install Minecraft Java Edition on your Windows PC from the official Minecraft website.
- Download the Virtual Desktop for the Oculus Quest and the mode from SideQuest. View this guide if you are having trouble.
- Make sure you have SteamVR installed on your PC.
- Download and install the latest version of Vivecraft.
- Launch the Virtual Desktop application on your VR platform and put on your headset.
- In Virtual Desktop VR, launch the Minecraft Java Launcher that Vivecraft installed on your computer.
- In your VR headset, Minecraft will open up in front of you in full virtual reality.
How to Install Minecraft on Playstation VR
On September 7th, 2020, a new blog post on the Sony blog announced that Minecraft virtual reality is coming to the PSVR sometime this month!
Anyone who has Minecraft for Playstation 4 will be receiving a patch that automatically gives access to Minecraft VR functionality. You’ll need a PSVR setup to use it, but everything else is automatic.
If you’d like to buy the game, check out the official Sony Minecraft store page.
Minecraft VR Tips
Here are some specific tips about playing Minecraft in virtual reality that you should know about.
- If you plan to use mods and enable shader packs, be aware that this will slow down your game and max out your computer resources. This is amplified when playing in virtual reality.
- Get familiar with the menu and building controls in virtual reality, which are different than on PC and can feel slower at first.
- Play in short bursts in order to get your legs used to playing in virtual reality.
- Stop as soon as you feel motion sickness coming out.
We have tons of other VR tips which are useful for playing games in virtual reality.
General Minecraft Tips
The following tips will help you survive in Minecraft VR:
- Don’t take large risks far from home. Always carry a stack of touches
- Don’t forget to get enough food. You can find food by robbing villages or grabbing animals.
- Build a sustainable house using cobblestone or obsidian.
- Make sure to have a lot of lightning.
- Use Armor because it is super effective and will help you defend yourself against your enemies.
- Cave mining works to gain stacks of loot
- Use dogs as your companion; they will do the hard work for you
- Try fishing or farming if you are bored
- Get diamonds by mining large tunnels at bedrock levels, or find them in village chests.
Have any other tips to add? Let us know at the bottom of the article!
Minecraft VR Gameplay Videos
Not sure what to expect out of this game in virtual reality? Check out these gameplay videos below for VR content.
Minecraft VR is now one of the best games you can play in virtual reality. It is currently available as a free update on the Oculus store if you already have bought the Windows 10 Edition.
You should definitely try it if you have an Oculus Rift S.
What is your favorite game to play on Minecraft? Comment below and help other players out!